Legal Name Change

A Legal Name Change is a permanent name change done to correct or alter an original birth certificate/registration. This does not include assumed names like after you are married or if you prefer to go by ‘Bill’ rather than ‘William’.
A Legal Name Change is a lengthy process that requires attention to the details as any inaccurate information can delay an application for months. New Urban Registry staff are well-trained and will work with you to ensure speedy recovery of the documents. Legal Name Change Application Forms are only available at a registry office.

Required documents:

  • Proof of Name Document
    • Canadian Birth Certificate (must be surrendered and will not be returned to you)
    • Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate
    • Permanent Resident Card
  • Valid government-issued photo identification
  • Electronic fingerprinting completed for anyone 12 years and older if you require fingerprinting please visit
  • A Criminal record check dated within 30 days, must be done through a police authority and not a third party.


Additional requirements may be needed should you be married or if you are changing the name of a minor. Please ensure that you follow the blue insert found in all Legal Name Change Application Forms.

Legal Name Changes can often take 3-6 months from the beginning of application until the moment the certificate is issued.

I’ve already done a Legal Name Change in the past but lost the certificate. Can I order a new one?

Legal Name Change Certificates can be ordered through New Urban Registry and this can only be done in person if you live in Alberta. Legal Name Change Certificates are generated within 2-3 business days and delivered to New Urban where we will call you to retrieve the document. The applicant must present valid government issued photo identification to order the document as well as retrieve it.