All permanent residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependants with The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

If you are a person who has the legal right to remain in Canada, you make Alberta your permanent home and are committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period, you are a permanent resident of Alberta.

What form do I fill out?

If you are:

    • New to Alberta
    • Returning to Alberta
    • Not on your parent’s account anymore
    • Married, separated, or divorced (and already covered)
    • Released from RCMP, Canadian Forces, or a federal institution
    • Your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan has been cancelled.


Then you will fill out the Application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan Coverage form.

If you:

  • Have a name change;
  • Have an address change;
  • Have a person on your account that no longer qualifies as a dependant
    • former spouse
    • dependants who became self-supporting/married
  • Have new dependants


Then you will fill out one of the following:

Alberta Health Care


Required documents

All applicants must present original, acceptable documents to prove their Alberta residency, Legal entitlement in Canada and identity.

Alberta Residency:

A document with your full name and current Alberta address. Some examples of acceptable documents are:

  • Valid Alberta Driver’s License or Identification Card
  • Utility bill (Enmax, Shaw etc.)
  • Residential Lease Agreement


Proof of Identity:

A Government issued ID that includes your photo and one other identifier (such as your name and DOB). Some examples of acceptable documents are:

  • Canadian passport;
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Federal identification card
  • Current Alberta drivers licence
  • Non-Canadian passport
  • Identification cards


Proof of Legal entitlement to be in Canada:

A Government issued document that confirms your legal status in the country of Canada.

  • Canadian passport;
  • Canadian citizenship card/certificate;
  • Permanent Resident Card;
  • Federal identification card;
    • Department of National Defense
    • Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    • First Nations/Inuit
  • Canadian birth certificate;
  • Canada entry document;
  • Work or Study Permit


When you are ready to register, bring the completed AHCIP application form along with the required original documents to New Urban Registry. Forms are also available at our office and we will assist you in completing the application as well as submit it to Alberta Health Care.

Processing time by the government can take up to five days and you will receive your card via mail in approximately 2 weeks, however, under certain circumstances there may be a waiting period before becoming eligible for coverage.